St. Hedwig Catholic Church of Wilmington, Wilmington & Western Railroad, and Appleton Catering have partnered to create this brand new event for Delaware Residents of both Wilmington & the Red Clay Valley to enjoy.
The event was created to be an continuation of the famous Polish Festival, held annually
at the Wilmington Riverfront.
ABOUT ST. HEDWIG CHURCH
St. Hedwig Roman Catholic Church is located at Linden and S. Harrison Streets in Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware. St. Hedwig serves as the only architecturally visible anchor or centerpiece for the Wilmington Polish community. The structure was built in 1908 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. St. Hedwig had held an annual fundraiser event on the Wilmington Riverfront for over 60 years, bringing in tens of thousands of people each year to the site. Red Clay Valley Sommerfest is a continuation of all the aspects of that amazing event (except for Carnival Rides due to space constraints),and have brought it into the heart of the Red Clay Valley.
ABOUT WILMINGTON & WESTERN
The Wilmington & Western Railroad opened in October of 1872 to serve the residents & surrounding community of the Red Clay Valley & Northern Delaware. The Railroad was bought by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in 1883. Historic Red Clay Valley was formed in 1960 to save the Railroad from abandonment, and to make the Railroad into a tourist railroad. The Railroad opened for tourist service in 1966, and has been running ever since as one of Delaware's top tourist attractions.